What to Do about Filming or Etching on Glassware
Does the film or residue come off?
Laws passed in 2010 limiting the amount of phosphates in household dishwasher detergents. Major manufacturers have reformulated their dishwasher detergents for the entire United States.
This Eco-friendly change in detergents may cause a white film on your dishes, glassware, plastic items, utensils, and even the dishwasher tub.
Is your water hard, or is there a high mineral content in the water?
Use a liquid rinse aid to help remove spotting and/ or filming. Keep the rinse aid dispenser filled.
Was the correct amount of detergent used (if using powder or gel detergent)?
- Use fresh dishwasher detergents only.
- Never use less than one tablespoon per load.
- Heavy soil and/or hard water generally require extra detergent.
- Store detergent in a cool, dry area.
- If using detergent packs or pods, use only 1 pack per load. Follow manufacturers instructions for pack use.
Is the home water pressure high enough for proper dishwasher filling?
Home water pressure should be 20-120 psi. To determine if you have adequate water pressure:
- Fully open the faucet nearest the dishwasher.
- Place a 1-quart container under the faucet.
- If the container takes longer than 9 seconds to fill, the water pressure is low. Contact a licensed qualified plumber for water pressure questions.