Check vent light is on for my Whirlpool Dryer
How to check your vent:
The Check Vent Light is located on the console of some dryers (see diagrams below) and indicates that dryer airflow is restricted. Your dryer requires adequate air flow to ensure proper performance and dry times.
To resolve the issue and ensure good airflow follow these steps:
- Look behind the dryer and ensure that the venting is not crushed. If the venting it crushed, replace it with rigid or flexible metal venting. Allow a minimum of 4" between the dryer and the wall when reinstalling the unit to prevent further crushing.
- Check that the vent hood on the exterior of the house is not clogged or being blocked by landscaping.
- Clean internal house venting; this may require a Vent Cleaning service person depending on venting installation. This cleaning is not covered by warranty and will not be performed by an Appliance Service Technician.
- Replace plastic or foil vent material with 4" (102 mm) diameter rigid or flexible metal vent material.
- Use the shortest length of vent possible.
- Use as few 90° elbows in the vent system as possible; each bend and curve reduces airflow.
- Clear items away from the front of the dryer.
Also note that some models have a Clean Lint Screen light that illuminates until the dryer is started or door is opened. This is different than the Check Vent light, and is meant to remind you to clean the lint screen after every use of the dryer.
Whirlpool Cabrio Console Example (consoles vary model to model)
Whirlpool Duet Console Example (consoles vary model to model)
A dryer vent test, part #W11224254, is available for all dryer platforms. This vent test kit will help you to determine if the venting is restricted and needs to be cleaned. To order, contact Customer Service.
Watch the video below to learn about clearing your vent and exhaust:
Watch the video below for information on how to use the vent test kit