How Your Whirlpool Trash Compactor Works
The compacting ram is the part of the compactor which compresses the trash. The compacting ram does not go to the bottom of the drawer. You will not see compacting of trash the first few times you load the compactor. The compactor drawer should be more than half full before the compactor can begin to compress the load. You may hear a noise when glass breaks. Strong glass bottles may not break at all. The trash in a full compactor bag will be about one quarter the size of its original bulk.
Load bulky trash, bottles, and cans in the center of the drawer. Bottles or cans not placed in the center may become caught between the ram and the drawer. The Drawer Monitor Switch then senses a "missload" and causes the ram to return to the "up" position without compacting.
NOTE: You will not see compacting of trash the first few times you load the compactor. The compactor drawer should be about half full before the compactor can begin to compress the load.
How to Open Your Trash Compactor
- Open the drawer.
- Lift and pull the handle or press the foot pedal to open the drawer.
NOTE: Pressing the foot pedal opens the container only 3" to 6" (7.6 cm to 15.2 cm), depending on the load.
Tips For Using Your Trash Compactor
- Place trash in compactor.
- Wrap or cover wet or messy trash.
- Do not compact items that may develop offensive odors such as raw meat, fish, grapefruit rinds, disposable diapers, or personal hygiene items.
- Load bottles or cans on their sides in the center of the drawer. Do not load bottles in an upright position.
- Close the drawer.
- Do not push items down into compactor with hands or feet.