Was the door just opened?
When the door is opened, cold air flows out of the refrigerator, and warm, humid air can flow in. When the door is closed, the warm air mixing with the cold air can create a vacuum, causing the doors to be harder to re-open. If this occurs, allow the internal pressure to equalize before re-opening the door. This should take less than one minute. This is part of normal operation and is more likely to occur during the warmer, more humid times of the year.
Are the gaskets dirty?
The door gaskets should be cleaned in order for the door to open and close properly. Dirt and other particles can build up on the gasket surface and can cause resistance. Check the door gaskets regularly to ensure they are clean and free from food particles.
How to Clean the Gaskets
- Wash the gaskets with warm water and a mild detergent using a clean sponge or soft cloth.
- Rinse well and wipe dry with a clean, soft cloth.
- (Optional) If desired, rub a thin coat of paraffin wax on the gasket following cleaning. The paraffin wax may help if the gaskets are sticking.
Is the refrigerator level?
Ensuring that the refrigerator is level to will help allow the door to open and close properly. A properly leveled refrigerator will also help with overall operation. Please refer to your Use and Care Guide or Installation Instructions for specific leveling information for your refrigerator.
In addition to your Use and Care Guide and Installation Instructions, here are some other tips for leveling the refrigerator:
- Use a level to make sure the refrigerator is level from side to side and front to back.
- Check to make sure the floor under the refrigerator is also level. If the floor is not level, shims may need to be used.
CLICK HERE to watch a video on how to level the refrigerator - French Door
CLICK HERE to watch a video on how to adjust the doors - Side by Side Refrigerators
Still need help? Call or schedule service.
You may need assistance from a qualified technician. Call 1-866-698-2538 or click below to schedule an appointment.