How to Clean your Whirlpool Food Disposer to Remove Odor
Over time, food particles may accumulate in the grind chamber and baffle. An odor from the disposer is usually a sign of grease and food buildup., caused by insufficient water flow during and after disposer use.
There are 3 ways to clean a disposer to help remove odors:
- Use affresh® Disposer Cleaner
- Follow baking soda procedure below
- Grind Citrus peelings
affresh® method (recommended):
- Turn on hot water to low flow
- Place 1 affresh® Tablet in the disposer
- Turn on disposer for 15 - 30 seconds; Foam may rise.
- Turn off disposer.
- Rinse any remaining foam down the drain
affresh® cleaners are available at many retailers. Find one here.
Baking Soda Method:
- Turn off disposer and disconnect power supply.
- Reach through sink opening and clean underside of splash baffle and inside upper lip of grind chamber with scouring pad.
- Place stopper in the sink opening and fill sink halfway with warm water.
- Mix 1/4 cup baking soda with water. Turn disposer on and remove stopper from sink at same time to wash away loose particles.
Citrus Peelings Method:
Grind your citrus peelings in your disposer on a regular basis for a fresh fruity scent. Always run cold water with your disposer and allow water to run for at least 15 seconds after grinding is complete.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.