How to Clean the Interior of your Whirlpool Refrigerator
Why should you clean the interior of your refrigerator? Both the refrigerator and freezer sections automatically defrost. Air circulates between both sections; any odors formed in one section will transfer to the other. You must thoroughly clean both sections to eliminate odors.
Suggestions for eliminating or reducing odors:
- Keep foods tightly wrapped or covered, also helps keep food from drying out
- Wipe spills up immediately
- Clean both section about once a month
- Keep Refrigerator and Freezer well organized, including crisper drawers will help you manage freshness levels
- Discard any spoiled or rotten food
CLICK HERE for information on how to remove stubborn odors
How to clean the interior
- Remove all food
- Unplug refrigerator or disconnect power.
- Hand wash, rinse, and dry removable parts and interior surfaces thoroughly.
- Use a clean sponge or soft cloth and a mild detergent in warm water.
- Affresh Appliance cleaner may also be used
- NOTE: Do not use abrasive or harsh cleaners such as window sprays, scouring cleansers, flammable fluids, cleaning waxes, concentrated detergents, bleaches or cleansers containing petroleum products on plastic parts, interior and door liners or gaskets.
- Plug in refrigerator or reconnect power.
affresh® cleaners are available at many retailers. Find one here.
- Refrigerator shelves with under-shelf, LED lighting are NOT dishwasher safe
- Glass Shelves and Bins are dishwasher safe, but hand washing is primarily recommended.
- Place Shelves and Bins on top rack of the dishwasher
- Make sure the shelves and bins have come to room temperature before placing in the dishwasher; to avoid cracking and breaking
- For instructions on removing the shelves and bins from your refrigerator, please reference your Owner's Manual.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.
How to clean the drawer and shelf channels
To clean drawer or shelf channels:
- Use warm, soapy water
- Thoroughly rinse and dry
- Completely dry with a soft microfiber cloth
Spillovers inside the refrigerator may get into the slide control of the crisper bins or shelves and cause them to stick. If the spillover is heavy, it may be necessary to use a soft cloth and a mild dish soap to clean the frame.