Normal Sounds and Noises for Whirlpool Refrigerators
Your new Whirlpool refrigerator will probably make different sounds or noises than your previous refrigerator. Below is a list of common sounds the refrigerator might be making. Please click on each sound to learn more.
- Buzzing: Water valve will make a buzzing or clicking sound if the ice maker is not connected to a water supply.
- Chattering when dispensing: Water line may be kinked.
- Grinding or Squeaking: Doors may be rubbing against cabinets or other surfaces when opening.
- Gurgling: Refrigerant flowing through the tubes after a cooling cycle.
- High-Pitched or Pulsating: Compressor fans adjusting to optimize performance.
- Popping or Cracking: Contraction and expansion of the inside walls.
- Rattling or Vibrating: Flow of refrigerant through cooling system, or water through the water line, items on the top of the refrigerator, refrigerator not level.
- Sizzling, Hissing or Water Dripping: Water dripping on to the defrost heater during the defrost cycle.
- Thumping or Hammering: Water line during a fill cycle.
If you would like to download or view product literature for your appliance, please visit our Manuals and Literature page.